- The Charles S. Roberts Awards shall be given annually to honor outstanding achievements in the wargaming hobby and to honor other achievements as provided for in these rules and approved by the Charles S. Roberts (CSR) Board of Governors.
- Awards shall be awarded and presented after August 31, 2021.
- Awards in the form of a certificate shall be conferred annually for the following achievements to the publisher and designer/graphics artist/developer or individual of each category.
|Best Ancients to Medieval Era Board Wargame||Wargames set from before Antiquity to the Middle Ages through 1453.|
|Best Early Gunpowder Board Wargame Renaissance, Sengoku Jidai, 18th Century, Post-1453 AD to 1793||Wargames set after 1453 to 1793|
|Best Napoleonic Era Board Wargame||Wargames set in the Napoleonic Wars era between 1793 and 1815|
|Best Late Gunpowder to Pre-World War 1 (Excluding American Civil War) Era Board Wargame||Wargames set after 1815 up to 1914, excluding the American Civil War|
|Best American Civil War Board Wargame||Wargames set in the American Civil War 1861-1865|
|Best World War 1 Era Board Wargame||Wargames set between 1914 to 1933|
|Best World War 2 Era Board Wargame||Wargames set in the period of World War 2 from 1934 to 1945.|
|Best Post-WW2, Cold War, & Hypothetical Era Board Wargame||Wargames set after World War 2|
|Best Science-Fiction or Fantasy Board Wargame||Wargames set in a science fiction or fantasy setting|
|Best Solitaire/Cooperative Board Wargame||Wargame designed to be played by one player or more players in cooperative|
|Best Magazine Board Wargame||Wargame published with a wargame magazine|
|Best Amateur / Print-and-Play Board Wargame||Wargame that is download only and not available for commercial sale|
|Best Postcard/Small format Board Wargame||Best Postcard/Small format Board Wargame (Up to 100 playing pieces and map not to exceed 8.5″ (21.6cm) x 11.7″ (29.7 cm), US letter sized or A4 page.|
|Best Expansion or Supplement for an Existing Board Wargame||Wargame that is a supplement to an existing wargame and not a stand-alone game on its own|
|Best Board Wargame Playing Components||Graphical presentation of a wargame’s playing components|
|Best Board Wargame Map Graphics||Graphical presentation of a wargame’s playing board(s)|
|Best Board Wargame Rules||Complete presentation of a wargame’s rules|
|Best Original Box Cover Art||Original artwork for a wargame’s box cover|
|Computer Game Awards|
|Best Pre-20th Century Era Computer Wargame||Computer historical wargames set before the 20th century|
|Best Modern Era Computer Wargame||Computer historical or hypothetical wargames set in or after the 20th century.|
|Best Science-Fiction or Fantasy Computer Wargame||Computer wargames set in a science fiction or fantasy setting|
|Best Computer Wargame Expansion||Expansions to existing computer wargames|
|Best Computer Game Assist Module||Specific game modules developed for online play of board wargames. This category is not intended for full implementations of board wargames which fall under the previous categories.|
|Best Computer Game Graphics||Graphical presentation of a computer wargame|
|Publication and Broadcast Awards|
|Best Professional Wargame Magazine||Wargame magazine that is published regularly in print format and available through retail distribution.|
|Best Amateur Game Magazine||Wargame magazine that is published regularly in non-print format other than print on demand and is not available through retail distribution.|
|Best Individual Historical or Scenario Analysis (Provide Link to article or podcast or publication if available)||Article analyzing the history within a wargame or a new scenario for an existing wargame in print or web format|
|Best Game Review, analysis website, webcast, or podcast||Wargame review or analysis website, webcast, or podcast. Not necessarily a single episode, though single episodes can be nominated and count as a vote for a website. Voting for more than 1 episode will only count as 1 vote for a website, webcast or podcast.|
|Best Military History Book||Published book that has military historical content that is of value to wargamers.|
|Best Board Wargame of the Year||Wargame that is best of the year across all milieus and formats|
|James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award||Wargame or person that has made the most impact in the calendar year.|
|Clausewitz Award HALL OF FAME*||Individual who has made significant contributions to the wargame industry who has not been previously awarded.|
- Eligibility for CSR Awards consideration is subject to Rules Two and Three, and to those special rules approved by the Board of Governors that follow.
- All eligible board and computer wargames released in the calendar year of the awards between January 1 and December 31. To be released, a board and computer wargame must be available for purchase or download by December 31 of the award year. A computer assist module must be available for public download by December 31 of the award year.
- Amateur wargames and magazines must have a complete playable or readable copy available to be downloaded from a publicly accessible website.
- For the Amateur / Print & Play categories, nominees for these categories may not be a title that has been, in the process of, been announced for publication or crowdfunded during the award period.
- The Board of Governors will have sole authority for arbitrating a nominee’s eligibility.
THE AWARDS YEAR AND DEADLINES
- The Award year runs from January 1 to December 31 of the year of the awards. For example, for the 2020 awards, the Award year is January 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020.
- Ballots can be submitted beginning on June 15, 2021 through July 31, 2021 by the online submission form at: https://charlieawards.wordpress.com/ or by postal mail to: Charles S Roberts Awards PO Box 6834 Bellevue WA 98008. Mail-in ballot must be post-marked by July 31, 2020.
- Voting on all achievements shall be limited to one ballot per person.
- All voters will register their email, mobile phone, and physical address. This information will only be used to verify voter eligibility. Upon a voter’s opt-in, a voter’s address may be provided to game publishers, but voting history will not be provided.
- By submitting a vote, you are consenting to having the CSR Committee contact you for identity verification as necessary.
- Each voter can submit up to 3 games/individuals per award category. You cannot nominate the same game/individual more than once per category.
- It is the voter’s responsibility to ensure they vote for eligible games. Any ineligible games either because of illegibility, of category mismatch or ineligible year of release will be discarded.
- The CSR Board of Governors will have the final determination upon interpretation of a ballot’s votes.
- The CSR winner of each category will be the one that receives the most valid votes in its category. The next four highest vote totals will be named CSR nominees.
- As a pilot, 3 categories in 2021 will be selected through a second round of voting.
Wargame of the Year
Best Historical or Scenario Related Article
James F. Dunnigan Award for Design Elegance
- The CSR Board of Governors reserves the right to not make an award for any category.