- The Charles S. Roberts Awards shall be given annually to honor outstanding achievements in the wargaming hobby and to honor other achievements as provided for in these rules and approved by the Charles S. Roberts (CSR) Board of Governors.
- Awards shall be announced publicly by July 1, 2020 and formal presentation for this award will be made via live webcast. In future years, awards will be announced earlier in the year.
- Awards in the form of a certificate shall be conferred annually for the following achievements to the publisher and designer/graphics artist/developer or individual of each category.
|Best Ancients to Pre-Napoleonic Era Board Wargame||Wargames set before the Napoleonic Wars.|
|Best Napoleonic Era Board Wargame||Wargames set in the Napoleonic Wars.|
|Best Post-Napoleonic to Pre-World War 2 Era Board Wargame||Wargames set between the Napoleonic Wars and World War 2|
|Best World War 2 Era Board Wargame||Wargames set in the period of World War 2|
|Best Post-WW2, Cold War, & Hypothetical Era Board Wargame||Wargames set after World War 2|
|Best Science-Fiction or Fantasy Board Wargame||Wargames set in a science fiction or fantasy setting|
|Best Solitaire/Cooperative Board Wargame||Wargame designed to be played by one player or more players in cooperative|
|Best Magazine Board Wargame||Wargame published with a wargame magazine|
|Best Amateur / Print-and-Play Board Wargame||Wargame that is download only and not available via commercial sale and not announced for crowd-funding or publication.|
|Best Postcard/Small format Board Wargame||Wargame with 100 included playing pieces or less and map not to exceed 6 1/8” (15.56 cm) x 11 ½” (29.21 cm)|
|Best Expansion or Supplement for an Existing Board Wargame||Wargame that is a supplement to an existing wargame and not a stand-alone game on its own|
|Best Board Wargame Playing Components||Graphical and physical presentation of a wargame’s playing components|
|Best Board Wargame Map Graphics||Graphical presentation of a wargame’s playing board(s)|
|Best Board Wargame Rules||Complete presentation of a wargame’s rules and charts|
|Best Original Box Cover Art||Original artwork for a wargame’s box cover|
|Computer Game Awards|
|Best Pre-20th Century Era Computer Wargame||Computer historical wargames set before the 20th century|
|Best Modern Era Computer Wargame||Computer historical or hypothetical wargames set in or after the 20th century.|
|Best Science-Fiction or Fantasy Computer Wargame||Computer wargames set in a science fiction or fantasy setting|
|Best Computer Wargame Expansion or Update||Non-standalone expansion or update to an existing computer wargame.|
|Best Computer Wargame Graphics||Graphical presentation of a computer wargame|
|Best Board Wargame Computer Assist Module||Game or game series specific computer module built to enable easier play of a board wargame.|
|Best Professional Wargame Magazine||Wargame magazine that is published regularly in print format and available at retail.|
|Best Amateur Game Magazine||Wargame magazine that is published regularly in non-physical format other than print on demand.|
|Best Historical or Scenario Article||Article or podcast analyzing the history within a wargame or a new scenario for an existing wargame in print or web format|
|Best Game Review or Analysis||Review or analysis of a wargame published in web or print format, includes podcasts.|
|Best Board Wargame of the Year||Wargame that is best of the year across all milieus and formats|
|James F Dunnigan Award for Playability and Design||Game Designer, Developer, Graphic Artist or wargame for outstanding achievement in that year|
|Clausewitz Award HALL OF FAME*||Individual who has made significant contributions to the wargame industry who has not been previously awarded.|
- Eligibility for CSR Awards consideration is subject to Rules Two and Three, and to those special rules approved by the Board of Governors that follow.
- All eligible board and computer wargames released in the calendar year of the awards between January 1 and December 31. To be released, a board and computer wargame must be available for purchase or download by December 31 of the award year. A computer assist module must be available for public download by December 31 of the award year.
- Amateur wargames and magazines must have a complete playable or readable copy available to be downloaded from a publicly accessible website.
- For the Amateur / Print & Play categories, nominees for these categories may not be a title that has been, in the process of, been announced for publication or crowdfunded during the award period.
- The Board of Governors will have sole authority for arbitrating a nominee’s eligibility.
THE AWARDS YEAR AND DEADLINES
- The Award year runs from January 1 to December 31 of the year of the awards. For example, for the 2019 awards, the Award year is January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2019.
- Ballots can be submitted beginning on May 1, 2020 through May 31, 2020 by the online submission form at: https://charlieawards.wordpress.com/ or by postal mail to: Charles S Roberts Awards PO Box 6834 Bellevue WA 98008. Mail-in ballot must be post-marked by May 31, 2020.
- Voting on all achievements shall be limited to one ballot per person.
- All voters will register their email, mobile phone, and physical address. This information will only be used to verify voter eligibility. Upon a voter’s opt-in, a voter’s address may be provided to game publishers, but voting history will not be provided.
- By submitting a vote, you are consenting to having the CSR Committee contact you for identity verification as necessary.
- Each voter can submit up to 3 games/individuals per award category. You cannot nominate the same game/individual more than once per category.
- It is the voter’s responsibility to ensure they vote for eligible games. Any ineligible games either because of illegibility, of category mismatch or ineligible year of release will be discarded.
- The CSR Board of Governors will have the final determination upon interpretation of a ballot’s votes.
- The CSR winner of each category will be the one that receives the most valid votes in its category. The next four highest vote totals will be named CSR nominees.
- The CSR Board of Governors reserves the right to not make an award for any category.